Yield: 16 servings (HA!)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil (we used 3/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup of chunky apple sauce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained (we used chunky pineapple)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas (we used 3 bananas large chunk style)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- we added coconut flakes in between frosting layers.
Here is a sort of photo montage of the steps. We basically combined all the dry ingredients, then added the wet stuff. Then baked in three 9" greased/floured pans and skimmed off the rounded cake tops once cool. Then once all three cakes were cool and level we used our (cough cough) store bought frosting to make a semi smooth outside layer. Topped with pecans and coconut and it was done!
PreparationCombine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas. Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.
all photos courtesy of Tony.